[mythtv-users] Upgrade Madness

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Sat Dec 4 04:10:39 UTC 2021

> On 4 Dec 2021, at 10:46 am, Martin Compton <martinc at itrans.com> wrote:
>
> I have an existing BE/FE combo machine that is dying.  It is running Ubuntu 16 and MythTV v30.
>
> I have a new box that I installed Xubuntu 20 LTS on.  But I then discovered that the ppa MythTV requires v31 on focal.
>
> So my question is how to best proceed.  I don't know where in the install/upgrade process MythTV upgrades the database schema.  Can I install MythTV v31, restore the v30 database, and get MythTV to update that database schema?
>
> To further confuse things, I have setup the new json sql-lite schedule grabber but not enabled it.  So I'm still using the old method.  Should I try to implement that on the dying machine first, so that configuration can carry over to v31 which as I understand requires the new grabber.
>
> Also, I have to have a working Lirc so I can transmit IR signals to the TV and STB.  Could I demote the current backend to be a slave backend while I get things working?  Or at least point the old machine to the new one's database?
>
> Does anyone have a working MCE USB receiver/transmitter Lirc configuration?  I have just started looking at the new version of Lirc.  Thankfully I know about the script to fix Ubuntu's botch of the Lirc package.
>
> Suggestions appreciated.
> Martin

Martin people seem to avoid building like the plague, but it is easy.
Follow the wiki
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Build_from_Source

It starts by saying for most people it is much easier …
clearly I’m not most people because I have found wrestling with PPA takes hours and building is over in 30 min on a 2 core i3

James