[mythtv-users] Can't connect to remote backend database (again)

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Aug 24 09:34:39 UTC 2021

On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 20:38:42 +1000, you wrote:

>> If the Chromecast with Google TV device was a normal Linux box, I
>> would be trying this command to see if it is possible to login to the
>> database:
>>
>> mysql -h 192.168.0.120 -u mythtv mythconverg
>>
>> Does it have a terminal session that you can use for that?  Does it
>> have the mysql command installed?  If not, then you could make sure
>> the CGTV device is powered off (so it is not using its IP address),
>> and then use a virtual machine and set it to use the CGTV's IP address
>> as a static IP address and see if the command works from there.  The
>> VM would need to be set to use bridged networking so that it is
>> connected to the same subnet that your CGTV and MythTV backend boxes
>> are.  And then capture the packets for a good login and compare them
>> to the bad login above.
>>

>I have a VM with a different IP address which I've installed mysql-client
>on just now. That connected immediately to the mythconverg database - even
>though I didn't set up a specific user for its IP address.
>
>So it looks like the backend can accept remote database connections. It
>just doesn't want to accept one from my Chromecast with Google TV device.

I have just looked through the tshark packet trace is more detail, and
in combination with this page:

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/internals/en/connection-phase-packets.html

I think I know what is happening.  It appears that the CGTV is
connecting using an out of date authorisation method.  The MySQL
server responds to this with an AuthSwitchRequest packet telling the
CGTV to try a different authorisation method.  The CGTV does not like
that and responds by disconnecting, which causes the server to log a
"Response Error 1158".

What that suggests is that the mythfrontend loaded on the CGTV was
compiled using an out of date version of the MySQL client library.  It
is possible that the MySQL server may have an option to accept older
authorisation methods, and setting such an option might fix the
problem.  But I think it would be better to use an up to date version
of mythfrontend.