[mythtv-users] Can't connect to remote backend database (again)

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 10:38:42 UTC 2021

> If the Chromecast with Google TV device was a normal Linux box, I
> would be trying this command to see if it is possible to login to the
> database:
>
> mysql -h 192.168.0.120 -u mythtv mythconverg
>
> Does it have a terminal session that you can use for that?  Does it
> have the mysql command installed?  If not, then you could make sure
> the CGTV device is powered off (so it is not using its IP address),
> and then use a virtual machine and set it to use the CGTV's IP address
> as a static IP address and see if the command works from there.  The
> VM would need to be set to use bridged networking so that it is
> connected to the same subnet that your CGTV and MythTV backend boxes
> are.  And then capture the packets for a good login and compare them
> to the bad login above.

I have a VM with a different IP address which I've installed mysql-client
on just now. That connected immediately to the mythconverg database - even
though I didn't set up a specific user for its IP address.

So it looks like the backend can accept remote database connections. It
just doesn't want to accept one from my Chromecast with Google TV device.