[mythtv-users] ATSC tuner advice wanted

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at Comcast.net
Sat Aug 21 17:52:49 UTC 2021

On 8/21/21 8:00 AM, Rod Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Long story short: Because of recent changes made by Cox, I'm planning to
> cut my cable TV service and switch to a combination of streaming and OTA
> recording. For the latter, I need an ATSC recording solution, but I'm
> afraid I'm having difficulty navigating the sea of options, given
> outdated Web pages, contradictory online information, confusing model
> references, etc.

I'm running the HDHR5-4K. MythTV does not fully support ATSC 3.0 yet, but the tuner works fine on MythTV for ATSC 2.0 channels.
I only have one ATSC 3.0 station that I am picking up off the back of my antenna, it comes in fine, but I don't watch it because
it is a low power religious station.

I have a setup with 3 antennas as I receive signals from 3 directions. The primary direction is Sutro Tower 40 miles away line
of sight.

I have FM stations much closer, and they broadcast with much more power than the TV stations I found that a pre-amp would
destroy the signal due to the FM being too strong. I am using an FM trap before a distribution amplifier to attenuate the FM
channels, and this is working well. The FM trap will damage channel 6 due to channel 6 being right next to the FM band, but that
is where my one ATSC 3.0 channel is, and in spite of it being a low power channel more than 10 miles away being picked up off
the back of the antenna, it comes in fine. ATSC 3.0 looks like it will be a good thing.

I have been using HDHR tuners since the first HDHR tuner came out. I am currently running 3 HDHR4-US tuners and one HDHR5-4K
tuner. They work well with MythTV.