[mythtv-users] Kodi and MythTV, can't watch LiveTV

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 03:00:10 UTC 2021

On Tue, 10 Aug 2021 at 12:20, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
> Hey Jean-Yves, long time, no see.

Indeed!
I wish I could go back to contribute more, but work has taken all my
hobby time away.

> That's the point.  It *is* the same frontend.  Unfortunately, it is
> quite heavy wwight for many Android devices.  I almost exclusively use
> Nvidia Shields.  I know they're too expensive for many but the MythTV
> experience on them is qutie good.

> I also have a Fire Stick 4k but haven't update and used it in a long,
> long, time.  No guarantees but I'll see if can reporduce your problem
> in the next few days.

The advantage of the Fire TV is that it's totally out of sight. It's
plugged to the HDMI port of my LG TV and powered by USB from the TV
too.
The shield wouldn't allow me to do that which with a TV attached to a
wall is problematic.

> That information is dated and should be ignored.  For A/V sync, IIRC,
> the only thing you should normally need to fiddle with is audio read
> ahead.  For the others, it's best to use the defaults in the standard,
> playback profiles.

I'm up to about -500ms audio shift ; and 650ms read-ahead. There
doesn't appear to have been much changes to how the decoding loop is
processed and if we reach the end of the audio buffer things will
start to stutter badly and it never recovers.

I don't get that with the MediaCodec decoder, but then there's
terrible tearing happening.
Interestingly though, the CPU usage is rather similar between
MediaCodec and ffmpeg ; about 60% on all 4 cores when watching h264
1080i content