[mythtv-users] Need help with Recording rules and templates

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 16:20:18 UTC 2020

I know this is doable, but I'm having issues.  I want to setup multiple
templates so I can have one for Sports, and one for shows that run after
sports. The only difference from Default is the Sports template will end
recordings 60 minutes late to allow for overtime or extra innings, etc.
The Shows after sports will be similar with different end recording times.

So I found that in Manage Recording -> Record Rules I can use 'M' menu
to create a new template. What I can't figure out is how to specify
which template to use when I setup a recording.

I may have complicated this by using the backend mythtv-setup to create
a Sports Storage Group and in the frontend, I created a playback Sports
group.

So now if I select a program that is classified as a Sports program in
the guide, it will automatically use the Sports template. I don't want
this because not every sports program will run late, for example sport
talk shows.

I also noticed that which template is used is hard to find because it's
dependent on which Theme your are using. I had to switch from the
Functionality 31 to Mythcenter 1.7 wide to fine this out.

I have read the wiki on recording rules, but I'm still missing
something. I just want to specify which template to use when I select a
recording from the guide.

Jim A