[mythtv-users] Mythtv-frontend operation with 4K TV?

Jim Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 13:12:04 UTC 2020

I know that mythfrontend on an x86_64 Linux PC works at 4KP60 resolution
on a UHD TV and seems to perform well. However, is that really the best
way to run it.  Is there any advantage to forcing the PC to
1920x1080 at 60Hz before launching mythfrontend?

The reason I ask is that I've been fighting a problem with having
multiple source devices connected to my 4K UHD Samsung TV.  My current
solution is to use a 5x1 HDMI 2.0 4Kp60 switch with all devices plugged
into the switch and the switch connected to one of the TV's HDMI input
and the Samsung's setting set to HDMI 2.0 so all the modes will work for
my input devices, like the Raspberry Pi. Nvidia Shield TV and Nvidia
GT1030 video card in a PC.

I have 2 choices with my PC setup when using it from across the room
because I need to set the resolution bigger than 4K yields. I can do
that with either 1080P mode in the Display settings app or using the
native 4KP60 mode with the Appearance app set to 2x on the scaling of
the desktop.

Since the HDMI switch moves the connections from the different input
devices, the PC seems to be sensitive to that and switches back to 4K
mode if I had it set to 1080P mode. So my current choice is to leave the
PC setting for display at 4Kp60 so the switch has no affect on the
display as long as I keep the scaling at 2x for view usability.

So that leaves me wondering about my original question, is there any
advantage to forcing the PC to 1080P mode before launching mythfrontend
vs. leaving it in native 4K mode. The Nvidia GT1030 seems to not care as
the picture looks fine either way.

Jim A