[mythtv-users] Managing storage groups intelligently

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Tue Sep 1 17:46:51 UTC 2020

On 01/09/2020 17:34, R. Ramesh wrote:
> I come from mythtv 0.27/0.28. So, I apologize if this is already handled
> in later versions.
>
> Is it possible to prioritize storage groups when recording? I plan to
> add a 1TB SSD to the storage groups and would like recordings to choose
> that over spinning disk whenever possible.
>
> If possible, I like to try this after the above is resolved. Manually
> move files between SSD and spinning disk (both are storage groups) to
> keep only recently created/accessed file in SSD and also make sure at
> lease 100GB space is left for any new recording. I will do this using
> overnight cron job.?? Since mythtv finds recorded programs as long as
> they are present in one of the storage groups, file moves should not
> affect look up for media files.?? Do you see issue with my approach?
>
> Yes, I already investigated bcache/dmcache/lvmcache etc., and was
> advised that they are either overkill or unreliable or ineffective in
> mythtv environment.
>
> Regards
> Ramesh

You have a few options.

1) different storage groups for the different disks
   - setup recording rules to use this SG

2) both disks in 1 SG and tune the disk selection algorithm
   - balanced free space, immediately comes to mind.
   - the backend will prefer to use the disk with the
     most free space.
   - this is a user selectable configuration item.

Regards
Stuart