[mythtv-users] Managing storage groups intelligently

R. Ramesh rramesh at verizon.net
Tue Sep 1 16:34:44 UTC 2020

I come from mythtv 0.27/0.28. So, I apologize if this is already handled
in later versions.

Is it possible to prioritize storage groups when recording? I plan to
add a 1TB SSD to the storage groups and would like recordings to choose
that over spinning disk whenever possible.

If possible, I like to try this after the above is resolved. Manually
move files between SSD and spinning disk (both are storage groups) to
keep only recently created/accessed file in SSD and also make sure at
lease 100GB space is left for any new recording. I will do this using
overnight cron job.?? Since mythtv finds recorded programs as long as
they are present in one of the storage groups, file moves should not
affect look up for media files.?? Do you see issue with my approach?

Yes, I already investigated bcache/dmcache/lvmcache etc., and was
advised that they are either overkill or unreliable or ineffective in
mythtv environment.

Regards
Ramesh