[mythtv-users] Best distribution for MythTV

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Tue Sep 1 07:47:38 UTC 2020

On 01/09/2020 05:21, jam wrote:

>> On 1 Sep 2020, at 1:18 am, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 12:07 PM Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net <mailto:lists at glidos.net>> wrote:
>>>     I've been using OpenSUSE for years now, mainly because I know it better
>>>     than other distributions, and my backend has also been my MTA and web
>>>     server, so I need to know it reasonably well. But now I've made other
>>>     arrangements for web and email, so I'm free to make the backend just
>>>     that and nothing else. OpenSUSE has been good, and there is at least
>>>     someone who kindly creates MythTV packages, but they're restrictive in
>>>     terms of versions. At the moment, I cannot update OpenSUSE version
>>>     without updating MythTV version at the same time, and I'd rather not.
>>>     Also, neither the latest OpenSUSE or the one I'm on, gives me access to
>>>     MythTV v31. So, I'm thinking this may be a chance to swap to a
>>>     different
>>>     distro. Any recommendations?
>>> I started with Mythtv back when it was it's own distro, Mythbuntu.  There is still good support for any of the Ubuntu distros. V31 works fine on 18.04 or 20.04 LTS versions.
>>
>> How about v29.1? Does Ubuntu offer a choice of MythTV versions?
>
> Paul it is incredibly easy to build whatever you need:
> Wiki->build from src
> sudo zypper in python-xml ansible git (ansible fails if you dont do this)
> git clone ansible as per wiki
> run playbooks as per wiki
> get the version you want
> ie
> git branch -a
> probably
> git checkout fixes/31
> ./configure
> make
> sudo make install
>
> See my recent post on making mythweb work
>
> That is it!
> Mail me if you want to go this route and need help

I hadn't realised it was quite that easy, but one problem I think I have
with building from source is I think I loose the use of kiwi for
creating my frontend disc images. I don't think kiwi copes with building
from source, although that is just an assumption I've made. I could ask
the devs.

I have wondered about creating my own packages. If building from source
is really that problem free, perhaps building packages wouldn't be that
hard. I have altered source packages before as a workaround, but not
tried building my own from scratch.