[mythtv-users] Ver 31 frontend cannot connect to the database

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Mon Nov 23 05:57:38 UTC 2020

> On 23 Nov 2020, at 1:27 pm, Mike Carron <jmcarron at gmx.com> wrote:
>
>>> On 23 Nov 2020, at 11:24 am, Mike Carron <jmcarron at gmx.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I didn't delete it, just renamed it oldmm.lll It doesn't make any difference, mythfrontend goes directly to the waiting for database screen.

>> Mike everyone is talking though gloved hand
>>
>> From frontend box
>> $ mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv -h dbbox mythconverg
>>
>> If you can’t connect then fix this first (watch space after -p)
>>
>> If you can connect, spelunk the password. The packagers for ubuntu in their infinite stupidity, sorry wisdom, have endowed myth with a bizare password so if you installed a frontend it gets a passord of ‘S0m3s111yrubbish” but the backend has a password of ‘0th3rs11yrubbish”.
>>
>> the mysql line *needs* to succeed with the passwd mythtv is using. Unless you are living in a share-house with a bunch of holligans use ‘mythtv’ everywhere.
>>
>> You may have to fiddle with the db. Find a mc.sql to guide you.
>> James
>
> I can log in to mysql on the backend using mythtv and 'mysillyrubbish'
> but when I use those same credentials in the database page in the
> frontend setup they don't work. They do work when I log in to mythtv
> using the backend address (192.168.0.xxx:6544) from my browser.
>
> The mc.sql I found doesn't appear to be useful for my needs.

Clearly "something" is wrong.
The reference to mc.sql is on my system the backend talks to the db -h localhost.
The frontend uses 'mythfrontend.box' or '192.168.0.200' (what ever it was, you did post)

So from backendBox both -h localhost and -h 'IP' must work. If you use name rather than IP then some sort of DNS needs to be done (/etc/hosts, dnsmasq, bind etc)

Were it me I'd be spelunking hostname and passwords. For me I took mc.sql and duplcated 'localhost' and '192.168.0.%' (I use 5 not 0) ubuntu uses '%' as the wildcard. That did Not work for me I had to use '192.168.5.%'

Can you run a frontend on your backend. My backend is headless but nomachine is an easy test. SSH was unusable even for testing (openGL ?)
James