[mythtv-users] Ver 31 frontend cannot connect to the database

Mike Carron jmcarron at gmx.com
Mon Nov 23 05:27:05 UTC 2020

On 11/22/20 7:51 PM, James Linder wrote:

>> On 23 Nov 2020, at 11:24 am, Mike Carron <jmcarron at gmx.com> wrote:
>>
>> I didn't delete it, just renamed it oldmm.lll It doesn't make any difference, mythfrontend goes directly to the waiting for database screen.
>>
>> On 11/22/20 4:53 PM, James Abernathy wrote:
>>>
>>> On Sun, Nov 22, 2020, 7:26 PM Mike Carron <jmcarron at gmx.com> wrote:
>>> My backend host recently failed badly enough that I was not able to salvage anything so I replaced the hardware and installed a new Ubuntu 20.04 and a new v31 mythtv-backend-master with xmltv.
>>>
>>> I then upgraded a remote frontend (Ubuntu 18.04) from MythTV 30 to 31 but that frontend will not connect to the database.
>>>
>>> I've checked and rechecked the frontend setup screen and everything is correct. The config.xml files for both look like they should work. I've tried the backend config with </host> = localhost and = 192.168.0.222 (the backend machine IP). The frontend config host is 192.168.0.222.
>>>
>>> I know the ip addresses are good. I can load 192.168.0.222:6544 into the address line of the Firefox on the frontend machine and it finds the database immediately.
>>>
>>> I'm no doubt missing something obvious but I can't find it. It seems like I have worn out 2 search engines trying.
>>>
>>> Suggestions?
>>>
>>> mike
>>>
>>> Have you tried deleting the .mythtv/config.xml file on the FE? Then do a search if the frontend does find it automatically
>>>
> Mike everyone is talking though gloved hand
>
>  From frontend box
> $ mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv -h dbbox mythconverg
>
> If you can’t connect then fix this first (watch space after -p)
>
> If you can connect, spelunk the password. The packagers for ubuntu in their infinite stupidity, sorry wisdom, have endowed myth with a bizare password so if you installed a frontend it gets a passord of ‘S0m3s111yrubbish” but the backend has a password of ‘0th3rs11yrubbish”.
>
> the mysql line *needs* to succeed with the passwd mythtv is using. Unless you are living in a share-house with a bunch of holligans use ‘mythtv’ everywhere.
>
> You may have to fiddle with the db. Find a mc.sql to guide you.
> James

I can log in to mysql on the backend using mythtv and 'mysillyrubbish'
but when I use those same credentials in the database page in the
frontend setup they don't work. They do work when I log in to mythtv
using the backend address (192.168.0.xxx:6544) from my browser.

The mc.sql I found doesn't appear to be useful for my needs.