[mythtv-users] new PC build that's MythTV compatible

Jeremy D. Eiden theonlyrealperson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 02:55:11 UTC 2020

On 11/1/20 4:58 PM, James Abernathy wrote:
> Looking for advice on what folks have working in their setup.
>
> I'm replacing my old Core i7 2700K system that uses an Nvidia GT-1030
> GFX card. The reasons are other than Mythtv, but I want Mythtv to work
> just as well as it does today.
>
> I know the Core i7 10600K is a respectable 6 Core 12 thread CPU and it
> has Intel GFX. I'm not disappointed with what my GT-1030 is giving me,
> so I can always put that old card into the new system if the Intel GFX
> sucks. But then I'm wasting money on GFX I'm not using.
>
> I've been looking at the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 which is 6/12 core/thread
> and is very respected. If I get a 500 series motherboard it would also
> support the 5000 Zen 3 processors when they come out.  I could use my
> GT-1030 GFX card or add a Radeon RX 570 GFX card and still be cheaper
> than the Intel Core i7 10600K.system.
>
> My research says Linux drivers are available for AMD, Nvidia, and
> Intel so I'm hoping Mythtv would work fine. However, my son says to
> stay with Radeon if I go Ryzen 5 3600 for gaming software
> compatibility. (I have no idea why)
>
> Any opinions on any of this?
>
> Jim A

That's waaaay more power than MythTV needs.  I have a desktop computer I
just built with an AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, 5 series board, and a Radeon RX570
video card - and mythfrontend barely makes a dent, even when running KDE
Plasma, firefox with multiple Youtube/Twitch streams, or even a medium
to heavy game.

I have two elderly Intel NUCs that run mythfrontend without an issue.
One is a i3 and the other a Celeron.

My backend server is on a AMD Ryzen 3 1200 4-core, and MythTV backend
barely makes a blip.

Just an FYI, I use OpenSuse 15.2 on the backend, and OpenSuse Tumbleweed
on the desktop/frontend.

Anything you pick will work great.  They Myth crew have even made
amazing progress on integrated Intel graphics.