[mythtv-users] new PC build that's MythTV compatible

DaveD mythtv at guiplot.com
Mon Nov 2 01:20:19 UTC 2020

On 11/1/20 2:58 PM, James Abernathy wrote:
> Looking for advice on what folks have working in their setup.
>
> I'm replacing my old Core i7 2700K system that uses an Nvidia GT-1030
> GFX card. The reasons are other than Mythtv, but I want Mythtv to work
> just as well as it does today.
>
> I know the Core i7 10600K is a respectable 6 Core 12 thread CPU and it
> has Intel GFX. I'm not disappointed with what my GT-1030 is giving me,
> so I can always put that old card into the new system if the Intel GFX
> sucks. But then I'm wasting money on GFX I'm not using.
>
> I've been looking at the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 which is 6/12 core/thread
> and is very respected. If I get a 500 series motherboard it would also
> support the 5000 Zen 3 processors when they come out.  I could use my
> GT-1030 GFX card or add a Radeon RX 570 GFX card and still be cheaper
> than the Intel Core i7 10600K.system.
>
> My research says Linux drivers are available for AMD, Nvidia, and
> Intel so I'm hoping Mythtv would work fine. However, my son says to
> stay with Radeon if I go Ryzen 5 3600 for gaming software
> compatibility. (I have no idea why)
>
> Any opinions on any of this?
>
> Jim A
I'm using Intel onboard on my I7 main FE/BE as well as a Costco special
FE.  dmidecode on moth systems shows:

Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz

It's total coincidence that both systems have identical CPUs (my wife
just came home from Costco one day with a new PC that happened to be
identical with the new MB/CPU I had just upgraded our MBE/FE to).

I couldn't be more pleased with the way these systems play back
1080p/i.  I have tried 4K content, just to see if it works, but my
displays are all 1080p (good news is the onboard Intels scale it
nicely).  I consider myself an amateur videophile (I used to be a TV
repairman) so I notice things like poor panning performance, interlace
lines, etc.  Both systems are a couple of years old, now, but I wanted
to mention that the Intel onboard works well with Myth, Netflix Xine,
Mplayer, VLC:  anything I throw it it. Using VAAPI seems to work fine.
There is a wrapper that emulates VDPAU, but Myth supports VAAPI directly.

For years I dealt with Nvidia add-on cards because I liked they way they
allowed a dual desktop configuration but KDE stopped supporting that
configuration so I just tried the onboard Intel on my new system and
haven't looked back.

Dave D.