[mythtv-users] Remote recorder advice

Andrew Wilkinson andrewjwilkinson at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 22:02:04 UTC 2020

Hi,

I am considering changing the architecture of my MythTV system, and I’m looking for advice on the best way to proceed, or if what I’m trying to achieve is even possible. Currently I have a Raspberry Pi frontend which connects to a single backend running on a computer behind my sofa. The recordings are stored on a Synology NAS and are mounted by both the front and backends.

My biggest issue is that the frontend has to wake up the backend when it turns on. This can be quite slow, and often we need to click Retry to get the connection to the backend to work. I could add a delay, but I would prefer to make the frontend quicker to start not slower.

I am considering moving the master backend to run inside Docker on my Synology. That way it can be running all the time (so need to wake it up) and there will be less noise when we’re not recording as the Synology is quieter than the current backend computer.

I record from two PCI-E cards in the backend, so they can’t move to the Synology. My initial thought was to set up a slave backend, and then whenever it needed to record the master could wake the slave up and shut it down when the recording finished. After researching this it appears that slave backends have to be on the whole time the master is running, and can’t be dynamically started and shutdown. Is that correct?

My second thought is to set up some form of IPTV streaming for my PCI cards and use a network capture card for my recording. Is there support for using wake-on-lan to wake up network capture cards? Has anyone got any recommendations for what software to use to stream DVB-T and DVB-S over my local network?

Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Andrew