[mythtv-users] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Mythfrontend freezing and VDPAU?

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 16:44:50 UTC 2020

> I cannot comment on why X misbehaves - over the years, especially with
> nVidia drivers and Xorg mesa version combos, it just happens.  It would be
> a good time to start using lirc and the irexec app.  It allows you to
> assign a script to kill anything you want to a remote control button.
>
> I have not used it in quite some time, so I do not have my config any
> longer, but I used it for this exact purpose a couple years back (and 8+
> years prior).  I am fairly certain I have posted the config to this list in
> the past though if you search the archives.  There should be a script to
> kill the frontend (and restart X if needed) and restart the frontend along
> with the lirc configuration.

I have a button on my remote

begin
    remote = N2QAHB000012
    prog = irexec
    button = Play+
    config = echo "killall  mythfrontend.real"
    repeat = 0
    delay = 0
end

I must admit I have not tried it.

The reason I have not tried it is that I want to get a way to kill things
from my remote logon before I try and automate it. When my myth computer is
locked up and useless from the local terminal I can still log on using
PuTTY from my Windows desktop. I have tried many things to kill the locked
up system and nothing has worked except restarting the myth computer.

I have searched the archive and it looks like all the scripts use some
version of kill to stop myth and that just doesn't work on my system.
https://lists.gt.net/engine?list=mythtv&do=search_results&search_type=AND&search_forum=forum_1&search_string=script+to+kill+the+frontend

As I have said, I programmed CTRL-ALT-BS to do the job and it works great
-- unless mythfrontend is locked up and then it doesn't work. It normally
restarts X but when the system is hung, it just kills the gui and locks up
there.

Allen