[mythtv-users] Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Mythfrontend freezing and VDPAU?

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Tue Mar 3 15:40:19 UTC 2020

On 3/3/2020 10:17 AM, Greg Oliver wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 8:51 AM Allen Edwards
> <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com <mailto:allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Tue, Mar 3, 2020 at 2:16 AM John <jksjdevelop at gmail.com
>     <mailto:jksjdevelop at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         On 02/03/2020 16:39, Allen Edwards wrote:
>>

>>         On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 7:15 AM John <jksjdevelop at gmail.com
>>         <mailto:jksjdevelop at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>             On 02/03/2020 14:41, Allen Edwards wrote:
>>>

>>>             On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 2:19 AM John
>>>             <jksjdevelop at gmail.com <mailto:jksjdevelop at gmail.com>>
>>>             wrote:

>>>                 I have found that using High Quality software
>>>                 decoding to be more reliable and tolerates faults in
>>>                 the broadcast stream. The cpu load is only moderate
>>>                 - try it.
>>>
>>>                 By the way this issue is still present in V31 so
>>>                 upgrading will not help.
>>>

>>>             Thanks so much for the confirmation of the issue. I have
>>>             been wondering about using software but wasn't sure my
>>>             CPU could handle it. What specific settings do you
>>>             recommend?
>>>
>>>             Allen

>>             I am on ver 31 using Opengl High Quality and cant
>>             remember the exact settings for V28 but I think there was
>>             a High Quality choice in Setup>Video>Playback>Current
>>             Video Playback Profile
>>
>>             You should get ffmpeg decoding and if I remember
>>             correctly vdpau double de-interlacer.
>>
>>             That config never failed for me on a combined Intel
>>             Haswell front and backend with Nvidia graphics.
>>
>>             Note i still get judder with software decoding if there
>>             are background tasks running so avoid that.
>>

>>         I tried "High Quality" and so far it looks good picture
>>         quality wise.
>>
>>         I took a look at the CPU load using top and I find that strange.
>>         Mythfrontend with VDPAU runs about 9% and with High Quality
>>         about 29%. That seems fine.
>>         Xorg is what I find strange. With VDPAU it runs about 2% and
>>         with High Quality it runs all over the place. I have seen as
>>         low as 6% and as high as 96%
>>
>>         I guess this is OK as long as nothing is pinned at 100% and I
>>         see that mythcomflag is able to get in there and it only uses
>>         left overs so I guess all is good.
>>
>>         If there was just an easy way to restore operation after a
>>         lock up like there was when I was running Mythbuntu 8 we
>>         could live with the occasional lock-ups which happen about
>>         once a month. I modified several things so that CTRL-ALT-BS
>>         will restart X but it does not work when mythfrontend is
>>         locked up. Basically, only "shutdown now -r" works in that case.
>>
>>         Thanks for the help. We will try High Quality and see how it
>>         goes.
>>
>>         Allen

>         killall mythfrontend
>
>         repeat
>
>         killall mythfrontend
>
>         has always got rid of a hung Frontend for me put it in a script.
>
>         Similarly
>
>         If you add "/bin/systemctl restart mythbackend.service" to
> [...]

This may have nothing to do with it, but VDPAU issues always get my
attention.  I spent a bunch of time chasing an antenna problem that
turned out to be a VDPAU playback rendering bug.  I ended up switching
to OpenGL, which completely solved my problem (still using it).  For
what it's worth, here's  the thread,

Don

*HD Hiomerun works better in HDHomeRun viewer than MythTV*
https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/users/622871?search_string=HD%20Hiomerun%20works%20better%20in%20HDHomeRun%20viewer%20than%20MythTV;#622871