[mythtv-users] US to NL Move

Klaas de Waal klaas.de.waal at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 21:14:00 UTC 2020

On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 at 21:09, Nick Kelsey <mythtv at silicondust.com> wrote:

> On 8/22/2020 10:43 AM, Ken Mink wrote:
> >   I am a long time MythTV user, >15 years. I am currently using a
> > HDHomerun for ATSC OTA and a HDPVR connected to my STB. I have taken a
> > new job and am moving to the Netherlands. I will be living in
> > Amsterdam and am wondering if there any NL users who can point me to
> > what tuner/capture options there are? I am currently on V0.29, but I
> > am willing to upgrade once we're settled in.
> >
> Great to hear you use a HDHomeRun ATSC unit! The HDHomeRun HDHR5-4DT is
> our 5th gen HDHomeRun and it works in Amsterdam. It has 4-tuners of
> DVB-T/T2.
>
> The DVB-T2 system in the Netherlands, called "Digitenne", has one
multiplex with the three public channels in HEVC/H265 full HD/1080p50 plus
one regional channel. All other channels on the other multiplexes are
encrypted.
Receiving the encrypted channels requires a proprietary set-top-box and
cannot be used with MythTV. The two-tuner HDHomeRun works perfect but as
you need only one tuner  a MyGica T230 USB stick might be good enough.

You can get cable TV from Ziggo. This has the three public channels in H264
full HD/1080i50 unencrypted and a collection of commercial channels in SD
also unencrypted. The four tuners of a HDHomeRun (cable version) are useful
here. The commercial channels are also present in HD but they need a
smartcard to decrypt and this will likely not work in a computer as this is
CI+.
Ziggo is great if you like Formula One, their sports channel has this, is
HD and is also not encrypted.

Depending on where you are going to live you might have a fiber connection,
and it is possible you can choose your own provider for Internet and TV.
Some providers, including KPN, have encrypted IPTV signals that need a
special set-top-box. Not useful. But there are also some small providers,
e.g. Trined,  that have DVB-C and that have a good collection of HD
channels, all unencrypted. This is by far the best option but it has to be
available.

All Dutch TV channels are also available on satellite from Canal Digitaal
on Astra-1 and Astra-3. This requires a smartcard and a CAM. I did test
this a while ago with a TBS 6528 card.

If you like British TV then a satellite dish for Astra-2 gives you a large
collection of channels including the BBC known as Freesat. This is all
unencrypted.

Klaas.