[mythtv-users] Recommendations of HDHR sharing between 2 backends

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 17:38:10 UTC 2020

I have a production backend and a development  backend. I put critical
recordings on the production backend (RAID), less important recordings on
the development backend.

The production backend has a 4 tuner OTA WinTV HD Quad PCIe card and both
backends are on the same network as the HDHR Connect Duo and Quatro. So 4
PCIe tuners and 6 network tuners.

The use of the networked tuners is shared between the SiliconDust HD app on
the smartTVs and mythtv.

Traditionally, I've set up the production backend with 4 PCIe tuners and 4
HDHR tuners only on the Quatro.  The development system has 2 tuners
defined only using the Duo. The SmartTV HD app will pick any HDHR open
tuner on either of the HDHR tuner boxes.

Would it make more sense to have both backends configured to access both
HDHRs boxes? I could still define 4 HDHR tuners for both backends but check
the box for both the Duo and Quatro.

All tuners are connected to the same OTA antenna and all have about the
same signal strength. As a practical matter we don't record more than 4
programs at a time. So this is more of an academic exercise in
optimization.