[mythtv-users] HD Homerun in the UK

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 09:16:41 UTC 2020

On 25/04/2020 09:00, Klaas de Waal wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 at 18:13, Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
> <mailto:mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>> wrote:
>
>     I've just received a HDHomerun Connect Duo which is intended to
>     replace my defective PC-TV 290e.
>
>     Installing it was a doddle and then I'm into configuring it. I
>     remembered that, despite it being one
>     box with one identifier, you have to invoke "new tuner" twice to
>     pick up both tuners. So far so
>     good, created a new source for them and attached them to it.
>
>     I have then tried to scan for channels and can only pick up DVB-T
>     but not DVB-T2. Now the carton
>     itself claims HD reception and that's what I bought it as, but it
>     won't find any T2 multiplexes.
>

> Are you sure that you have not found all multiplexes? If you do a "Full
> Scan" with mythtv-setup you should find all multiplexes and all
> services. What could be confusing is that, only with the HDHomeRun
> tuners, the console output of mythtv-setup lists all transports found as
> dvb-t even when they are dvb-t2.
>
> Klaas.

I haven't seen an HDHomerun Connect, but the website does say it does
both DVB-T and DVB-T2.   I don't know how similar its MythTV interface
is to devices that don't haave network addresses.

ISTR that Mike can receive from several transmitters and has had a
strategy that has let him select the ones he wanted to use.  TTBOMK
unknown DVB-T2 transports will not be found by 'all known transports'
scans, but Klaas's recent work has made 'full scans' in master much more
user-friendly.  I think that applies to fixes/31 too, but probably not
earlier.

I'll add that last weekend I lost one of my DVB-T2 transports:  all
scans reported no lock although the TV played it fine (746 MHz BBC News
HD).  Then it came back...  Presumably it will move later in the 700 MHz
clearance program.

John P