[mythtv-users] Understanding Schedules Direct change in V0.31

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 13:47:12 UTC 2020

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 9:32 AM Christopher X. Candreva <chris at westnet.com>
wrote:

> Relatively simple question: Do I understand correctly that, when I upgrade
> my setup to V0.31 , I will need to go through the manual steps outlined in
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV#Schedules_Direct_Setup to enable the
> Schedules Direct XMLTV ? Obtain the grabbers, run from command line, this
> isn't included in the packaging (Fedora / RPM Fusion) or mythtvsetup as of
> yet ?
>
> There is no judgement intended, I just want to know how much time to
> schedule around the upgrade. Thank you for all the hard work you do !

In my opinion, The instructions at the top of the Mythtv XMLTV page is
accurate as to installing the things needed for XMLTV, certainly for
Ubuntu/Debian based systems. If your Distro doesn't have some old version
of XMLTV available as a package, then you may have a lot of perl packages
that are required to be installed. Manually installing all of XMLTV from
the git is easy, except if you have to get all those little Perl pieces
together.  I'd set aside 30 minutes for all the googling you'll need to do
the find your distro's package for the perl lib you're missing. Git readme
should help.

Next I'd use tv_grab_xx_sdjson_sqlite.  It seems to be very flexible and
for me easy.  The time consuming part is yes/no on each of the channels you
want for your Zipcode.

THE KEY is to do all the XMLTV setup stuff as user 'mythtv'

Jim A