[mythtv-users] Major Upgrading...

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 17:44:46 UTC 2019

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 10:13 AM Richard Thomas <rich at dicksonlife.com>
wrote:

> So I have a really old version of mythbuntu that has been running fine
> for a while but I'm thinking it's time to upgrade. As far as I know,
> there's no upgrade path for mythbuntu any more so I'll probably go for a
> fresh Ubuntu+Myth install.
>
> What I'm thinking is to do a mysqldump of the mythconverg db, copy the
> files and the dump to the new system then run the db upgrade script. The
> thing is, my version of Mythbuntu is really old. It;s actually version
> 12.04. Is this still a viable upgrade path or am I asking for trouble?
> Any better suggestions?
>
> Rich

I ran Mythbuntu 8.04 until my hard drive died. I upgraded to the latest
version of Mythbuntu 16.04. Nothing but trouble and I still don't have all
the capability I had although it is nice to have subtitles that work.
Without the fantastic support of people on this reflector I never would
have gotten it working. But I do have to put up with periodic unknown
crashes I never had before and I can't use my projector for myth content
like I use to. But the subtitles are much improved and the system is faster
because of the added memory I had to add to get it to run at all.

Long ago, when I made the mistake of upgrading 8.04 to whatever the refresh
was at that time someone told me that Myth is an appliance and if it ain't
broke don't fix it. So what you should be asking yourself is why do you
want to upgrade and is it worth spending all your free time for a couple of
weeks to do it.

The views expressed are my own and do not represent the views of the
greater Myth community.

Allen