[mythtv-users] 3TB...poof

Matt Dorsch mtusers at dorscm.wakeful.net
Sun Mar 17 19:03:57 UTC 2019

If you made a list of the possible causes of the failures, MythTV shouldn't
be on the list. It has no control over the correctness of the filesystem.
That would be the OS's job.

If the drive passes a read-only test, which only checks if each sector can
be read successfully not the contents of the sector, then either the OS had
an issue that corrupted the FS, or there was a problem with the data
channel. Both of those a pretty unlikely these days, except old hardware
might cause a data issue.

If the drive fails a read-only test, the damage goes beyond the filesystem,
either to the circuit board of the drive or the platters themselves. This
is usually caused by low quality components, old age, or bad power. If your
system is on a UPS with AVR, it's probably not bad power.

SMART can be a useful tool to see if drives are showing signs of age:
Backblaze has done some analysis to see what SMART metrics are useful when
trying to predict an impending drive failure.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/what-smart-stats-indicate-hard-drive-failures/

Not all manufacturers use the stats in transparent ways: e.g., one of my
drives reports a Reallocated Sectors Count of 2^31 - 1.

On a different note, 5 years ago I discovered several of my drives had
failed, but the OS still kept using them. A few months later, it dawned on
me that I probably shouldn't be using the vacuum cleaner's carpet
attachment right next to the computers and external disk under my desk.

Matt