[mythtv-users] 3TB...poof

Larry Finger Larry.Finger at lwfinger.net
Sun Mar 17 17:40:53 UTC 2019

On 3/17/19 12:21 PM, Craig Treleaven wrote:
> So, yet again, the drive with all my recordings is unreadable.  This has happened to me in September 2015, August 2013 and at least one time before that although I’m not sure of the date.  And again this past Tuesday night.  I know the dates because in 2013 I started labelling drives and enclosures with the date purchased and I purchased these items specifically because of these problems.
>
> I’m running Myth on Mac so virtually none of you care.  However, if there is someone out there on OS X that has experienced this and actually KNOWS a solution, I’d love to hear it.  I’ve tried a number of things over the last several days with success.  Various versions of Apple’s Disk Utility.  Swapping the drive into a couple of known-good enclosures.  Tried TestDisk.   The closest I got was that Disk Utility would mount the volume even though it reported it as damaged.  But CarbonCopyCloner was never able to copy more than 150MB off it.

What does smartctl have to say about this drive? The utility is part of
smartmontools.

I do not use OS X, but I have had a number of disk failures over the years. I
finally implemented RAID on my system. I have / and /home mounted on RAID5, and
/boot on RAID0, with /boot/efi not in a RAID array. Since setting up the system,
I had one drive fail. Given Murphy's law, the failed drive was the one with
/boot/efi, but I had a backup copy on another drive. A few minutes work using a
rescue system got me back up and running with no loss of data.

Larry