[mythtv-users] Active EIT data collection gives some defective recordings; passive scanning not working.

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 14:09:19 UTC 2019

I posted about this last year on the dev list and have just encountered
it again.  I'm using DVB-T in the UK with one PCI single-tuner card and
a twin-tuner USB bevice, running master.

https://lists.gt.net/mythtv/dev/618967

Last year I found that, during my post-processing of recordings from the
USB device, project-x often reported missing sync bytes and/or packets
out-of-order.  Although it applied its best corrections, some defects
were still noticeable.  They seemed less frequent when I stopped active
EIT scanning with the USB tuners, using only the PCI card.

Recently the number of defects rose again.  I may well have made changes
during mythtv-setup, trees may be growing further into my line of sight,
or perhaps there might be confusion between the numbering sequences of
real and virtual tuners;  I haven't really looked for that.

I tried disabling active scanning on *all* tuners.  I had understood
that passive scanning would continue to collect EIT data, for all muxes,
as long as some recordings were being made - but yesterday only 2 days
had data and late-edits that might have been expected hadn't been done.
Things recovered after re-enabling active scanning by the PCI card only.

John P