[mythtv-users] Adding second storage drive for recordings-Solved

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Jul 23 20:10:58 UTC 2019

Bruce Herrington <1bhfr1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I ended up just removing the 2tb drive. That fixed the system. I lost the old recordings but no big deal.

You can keep them by copying them to the new drive. Just mount the partition manually on an unused directory (eg, mkdir /media/oldtv; mount -r /dev/sdxx /media/oldtv) and copy the files over. Next time mythtv goes looking for the recording file it'll find it.
When done, unmount the drive (umount /media/oldtv)

You can do this without interfering with the system (eg shutting it down to fiddle with the drives etc) just by putting the drive in an external caddy and using USB (it'll just be slower unless you have USB3 on caddy and host).

As to copying, personally I would use rsync since that can be stopped and restarted. Eg :
rsync -av /media/oldtv/ /media/path-to-current-storage/
Note that both paths have a trailing "/" and this is significant to rsync !