[mythtv-users] mythtv v30 'Could not open decoder' error

Tim Pletcher pletchtd at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 14:47:54 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 2:11 PM Tim Pletcher <pletchtd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 10:28 AM John <jksjdevelop at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I also get this error on a remote frontend with version 30. Some timeout
>> must need a tweak. Note the issue has been there for several weeks it is
>> not due to a very recent change. I don't use live tv enough to make it a
>> major issue for me.
>>

> Good to know that the problem is not unique to me.  I only updated to v30
> on Sunday the day prior so it is likely that I simply didn't stumble upon
> it in the limited use of the system since then.
>
> According to this in the log:
>
> Jan 28 19:28:13 k-mint mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1273]: I CoreContext avformatdecoder.cpp:2772 (OpenAVCodec) AFD: Opened codec 0x55a532b95180, id(AC3) type(Audio)
> Jan 28 19:28:13 k-mint mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1273]: E CoreContext avformatdecoder.cpp:2635 (ScanStreams) AFD: Unknown video codec - defaulting to MPEG2
>
> It appears that this is related to fallback to software based decoding rather than GPU Hardware based decoding.  Since this is occurring intermittently, you are probably right that it is a timing issue.
>
> Looking at avformatdecoder.cpp and totally speculating because i have no experience with C++, I wonder if is related to SEQ_PKT_ERR_MAX 10 (line 108) which is a criterion used to apply logic to fall back to software decoding?  Is 10 packets perhaps sometimes too sensitive when changing channels via LiveTV?
>
> I pulled down the source, increased the SEQ_PKT_ERR_MAX value to 15 in
avformatdecoder.cpp, and recompiled the frontend.  Since doing that, I have
not experienced the 'Could not open decoder' error for the last three days
now when using LiveTV.  I have not noticed any other deleterious effects
though I will continue to monitor for any.

On a separate topic, when I recompile the frontend from source, the
mythfrontend binary I generate is an order of magnitude larger than the one
in the mythbuntu repo and I can't seem to figure out why.  Looking and
comparing the ./configure options from the mythbuntu build package with the
ones I am using, the only tangible difference i see is that my system is
using NASM rather than YASM for the compilation.  Can anyone educate me on
what is causing this difference?

-Tim