[mythtv-users] mythtv v30 'Could not open decoder' error

Tim Pletcher pletchtd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 19:11:16 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 10:28 AM John <jksjdevelop at gmail.com> wrote:

> I also get this error on a remote frontend with version 30. Some timeout
> must need a tweak. Note the issue has been there for several weeks it is
> not due to a very recent change. I don't use live tv enough to make it a
> major issue for me.

Good to know that the problem is not unique to me.  I only updated to v30
on Sunday the day prior so it is likely that I simply didn't stumble upon
it in the limited use of the system since then.

According to this in the log:

Jan 28 19:28:13 k-mint mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1273]: I
CoreContext avformatdecoder.cpp:2772 (OpenAVCodec) AFD: Opened codec
0x55a532b95180, id(AC3) type(Audio)
Jan 28 19:28:13 k-mint mythfrontend.real: mythfrontend[1273]: E
CoreContext avformatdecoder.cpp:2635 (ScanStreams) AFD: Unknown video
codec - defaulting to MPEG2

It appears that this is related to fallback to software based decoding
rather than GPU Hardware based decoding.  Since this is occurring
intermittently, you are probably right that it is a timing issue.

Looking at avformatdecoder.cpp and totally speculating because i have
no experience with C++, I wonder if is related to SEQ_PKT_ERR_MAX 10
(line 108) which is a criterion used to apply logic to fall back to
software decoding?  Is 10 packets perhaps sometimes too sensitive when
changing channels via LiveTV?

Tim