[mythtv-users] V30 frontend on Raspberry PI3 B+

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 22:42:28 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 4:28 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 1/29/19 4:51 PM, Tim Draper wrote:
>

> ---- On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 01:12:09 +0000 *James Abernathy
> <jfabernathy at gmail.com> <jfabernathy at gmail.com>* wrote ----
>
> Since I now have my production system on V30 I thought I'd test the v30
> mythfrontend on my RP3 B+.
>
> I used the standard Wiki instructions for mythtv-light on the RP3. I
> know it's subjective, but I think the playback of OTA MPEG2 recordings
> is a little smoother than it was on v29.1 It's still not as smooth as
> the Shield TV version of v30 Mythtv-frontend, but it's close. When I'm
> not in test engineer mode, I could watch it with no issues.
>
> However, I did manage to do something that I've not done is years, I
> locked up the backend  using the frontend.  I clicked on Watch TV and
> the frontend never started playing any video.  After a couple of minutes
> I Ctrl-Alt-F1 and logged in to reboot.  But before I messed with the RP3
> again I went to the Shield TV and it could not connect with the backend
> either.  So I ssh'ed into the backend and looked at the log. Nothing
> unusual after the video started and nothing until I ran "systemctl
> restart mythtv-backend".
>
> Everything recovered nicely, but no record of why the backend locked
> up.  When I use the systemctl restart it took about 5 minutes before it
> completed. I don't know for sure because I had to leave the room. Not
> sure of the version that locked up, but I had updated all mythtv
> software yesterday.  While I had the backend down, I updated again today
> with a new verision.
> (30.0+fixes-autobuild.201901261750.f11c5ab~ubuntu18.04.1). The RP3
> version is mythtv-light/stretch,now 30.0-3-g44fee4bc8a-0 armhf
>
> Jim A
>

> i too upgraded my system to 30 today. while i do have rpi3 FE's, it wasnt
> the reason mine crashed.
> git'd both the BE and primary FE this morning since centos repo's haven't
> got 30 yet. All seemed to be working fine when I tested in the afternoon
> but then the other half got her fingers on the remote about 8pm and saw a
> segfault in mythBE after she clicked into liveTV & then guide. nothing that
> looks useful to bug yet, but i'll keep an eye on it&git commits. See if i
> can get time tomorrow to figure out which verbose options i need to start
> the BE with for more info.
>

> I have not been successful with LiveTV on Mythtv.  It works most of the
> time, but you will have issues at some point. Since 99% of my use of Mythtv
> is watching previously recorded programs and that works almost flawlessly.
> I've looked for other Live TV solutions.
>
> My main TV has a PC, RP3, and a Nvidia ShieldTV all connected to it. I
> experiment with the PC and RP3. On the Shield I can run Mythtv Frontend,
> and  Kodi for recorded TV, and for LiveTV I can run ProgTV or HDHR view.
> I've been more successful with setting up a program that I want to watch
> live as a Recording and just watch 10 secs behind real time. I find that
> [...]

I also never watch LiveTV (except the Dallas Cowboys game a few weeks
back).  *But*, I have 2 Shield's in the house running Kodi with the MythTV
PVR Plugin that watch LiveTV all day long practically.  Never an issue in
over a year, so I cannot say LiveTV does not work, just in certain
configurations I would obviously say :)

-Greg