[mythtv-users] Shield fronrend and video playback times

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 15:43:24 UTC 2019

On 1/29/19 10:06 AM, Greg Oliver wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 8:40 AM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com
> <mailto:oliver.greg at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 8:07 AM Stephen Worthington
>     <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz <mailto:stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>> wrote:
>
>         On Mon, 28 Jan 2019 20:14:26 -0600, you wrote:
>
>         >Please bootom post on this mailing list.
>         >
>         >On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 11:33:17AM -0800, Jon Boehm wrote:
>         >> On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 9:13 AM David Engel
>         <david at istwok.net <mailto:david at istwok.net>> wrote:
>         >>
>         >> > On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 09:27:29AM -0600, Greg Oliver wrote:
>         >> > > I see frequent issues with time calculations on some
>         recordings - in
>         >> > other
>         >> > > words, while the video is still playing, the progress
>         show it at the end
>         >> > > already.
>         >> > >
>         >> > > I watch Nova (and others) on PBS here and they all show
>         the symptom.  I
>         >> > am
>         >> > > unsure exactly when it happens, but I have watched 3
>         this morning and
>         >> > they
>         >> > > all jump to the end.  If I set a bookmark, it actually
>         sets it at the end
>         >> > > of the video even though there is really 20 minutes
>         left to play.
>         >> > >
>         >> > > Recorded from HDHR.  I see it on other local channels
>         as well, but not as
>         >> > > frequent and I have not analysed video when it happens.
>         >> > >
>         >> > > Anyone else experience this?
>         >> >
>         >> > I've seen that on KERA recordings too.  The same symptom
>         (I don't know
>         >> > if its the same problem) occurs very frequently with live TV.
>         >>
>         >> Have you marked the PBS channel as commercial free?
>         Perhaps its only
>         >> finding one commercial break near the end and jumping to it
>         immediately.
>         >
>         >It is marked as commfree.  This looks to be a classic case of
>         >mis-counting frames, eiter building the seek table or playing
>         back,
>         >that crops up every once in a while.
>

>     This channel is marked as commfree here as well (since it never
>     has commercials).
>
>         >David
>
>         In the past when I have had a file like this, running
>         "mythcommflag
>         --rebuild" on a recording has usually fixed it. That trick may
>         only
>         work for older similar problems, but it is worth trying.  I have a
>         user job set up with this command that makes it easy to do
>         that for a
>         recording file:
>

>     It only happens on my Shield.

> [...]
I just went in to check "The Good Doctor" from last night. It started
playing from the beginning and no issues. When I went into edit mode and
loaded the commercial cut list it should 4 or 5 of them. I didn't watch
the whole thing, but it seems normal to me. Mine was recorded from ABC
11 in Raleigh-Durham, NC using a HDHR Connect tuner. Shield TV frontend
was v30-983.

Jim A