[mythtv-users] Previous recordings have disappeared

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jan 28 19:10:05 UTC 2019

On 01/28/2019 08:14 AM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 19:51:31 -0700, you wrote:
>>> What exactly do you mean by "none actually show up"?
>>> Are there no recordings listed, or are they showing
>>> with an X icon and can not be played?
>> There are no recordings listed.
> I can remember a bug that could do this to you,

Check your log files from mythfrontend for something to the effect of:

RemoteGetRecordingList(): list size appears to be incorrect.
and/or
PlaybackBox::UpdateUILists(): SortedList is Empty

if you get that, you probably have one or more null characters in some
of the data about the recorded programs.  That invalid data is
preventing the list of programs from being received by the frontend, so
the frontend has nothing to show.

>   but I think it was
> fixed before 0.27.

If it's the issue I'm mentioning above, I think it can still occur if
someone/something puts a null character in various parts of the program
data.  IIRC, we only fixed some of the programs that didn't check
externally-provided data (such as mythfilldatabase and mythbackend's
EIT) to check for/remove nulls before insertion, and we still assume
that database data is valid (does not contain null characters), rather
than scrubbing the data every single time we read from the database.

Mike