[mythtv-users] upgrading from v29.1 to v30

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 17:55:09 UTC 2019

On 1/25/19 8:27 AM, John Hoyt wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 8:10 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy at gmail.com
> <mailto:jfabernathy at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I think it's critical that this be documented somewhere as doing
>     it wrong is much worse than just installing mythtv from scratch.
>     Having a backup is good and needed, but if a problem arises during
>     an upgrade it could take a lot of work to rebuild.
>
>     Techniques to do this have changed over the years. back with going
>     from 27 to 28, I did dist-upgrade as directed and everything
>     crashed and I had to quickly build a fresh system and restore my data.
>
>     Jim A
>
> The steps you listed in your first email are what I followed to
> upgrade on my 18.04 system and I had no issues. That being said, I
> have followed pretty much the same procedure since 0.22 and have had
> no issues, so you're mileage may vary.
>
> John

So here's what I did and it worked.

I made sure I have no updates available for anything first. Then:

  * sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/30
  * sudo apt update
  * sudo apt upgrade

Just for fun I tried sudo apt dist-upgrade and it yielded nothing to
upgrade.  Same thing for sudo apt full-upgrade.

Everything seems to be okay. I can watch livetv and play recordings. I
also updated a frontend to v30 running on a Ubuntu desktop and it
worked. I also tested Kodi 18 RC5 on that ubuntu desktop.  All working.

The Shield TV version also worked with v30 just as it did with v29.1. I
have version v30-pre-983.

Jim A