[mythtv-users] First time NVidia Shield + Remote Setup

A D ashu.desai at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 18:54:33 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 11:50 AM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 11:32 AM A D <ashu.desai at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 11:13 AM Greg Oliver <oliver.greg at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> No worries - I can appreciate that.  The remote for the shield is pretty
>>> nice to use, but the new LONGPRESS entries in MythTV are non-intuitive, so
>>> I gave up trying to make them work.  Every time I tried to train one in
>>> MythTV, the short button press kicked in and MythTV acted on it.  I am
>>> unsure how to get them working, but since I have the Harmony stuff, I did
>>> not dwell on it too long and just use my harmony mapped to my keys as
>>> always.  If you are going to use multiple Shields, I recommend upon first
>>> cofig of the frontend to make a unique identifier you can distinguish so
>>> MythTV does no make them all seem similar (in case you want to copy the
>>> keymappings from one Shield to the other in the database without having to
>>> go through it all over again).
>>>
>>> -Greg
>>>

>> I honestly don't see myself getting multiple Shields - however, if the
>> "right" way is to make a unique identifier - I guess I should do it that
>> way? Is there a step by step somewhere on setting up the remote? Or should
>> I search it online? I am asking here on our forums since need to customize
>> it for my Myth
>>
>> Being that it's an Android apk - a dumb question maybe - does the Shield
>> play the video files (again, not the TV recordings but the movie "mkv",
>> "avi" etc files) natively? I have Plex that can transcode but i want the
>> ability to play it natively. So I bought this knowing it can play H.265,
>> UHD, - will Myth let me play as such even if my mkv movies are 4K?
>>

> Most info here about the Android port:
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Android

I set it up according to this. However, I do not see  options for TrueHD or
DTSHD, nor for the 7.1 setup I have. It only goes up to 7.1 - this means
during playback, my rear surround dont play any sound.
Is there something I need to do to make this work?

> It will not play 4k currently.

Do we know if this is in works? I am sure there is a reason the 4K video
support is not an option for now.

As long as it can still play video without being choppy - even at 1080P for
now, I am fine...