[mythtv-users] MythTV Image Gallery questions

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Thu Jan 17 18:53:32 UTC 2019

On Thursday, January 17, 2019 9:24:31 AM MST Bill Meek wrote:
> On 1/17/19 9:58 AM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:

> >> There is actually no need to use soft links.  The new Image Gallery
> >> code uses storage groups, so you can just use mythtv-setup to point a
> >> storage group entry at each location for your picture files.  You need
> >> to restart mythfrontend to get it to see new storage group directories
> >> in a scan.
> >
> > Well there is, actually - I have a dozen or so different directories and
> > don't want to have to add them all (and others as they are created) when
> > a script to make 1 directory of softlinks would do the job much more
> > elegantly.
> You can use the Services API from a script:
>
> curl --data GroupName=Photographs --data DirName=/whereEverYouLike --data
> HostName=yoursHere yourBackend:6544/Myth/AddStorageGroupDir
>
> RemoveStorageGroupDir works with the same parameters.

Yes, after a morning coffee that seems eminently sensible! Thanks to you and
Ian. I prefer my API-fu over my SQL-fu since I have more practice with the
former.

Now, suppose a fella wanted to control _which_ images were available from that
cluster... My thought with the Pile o' Softlinks was that my script would be
somewhat selective in the links it made (like ignoring photos of gallery cards
in a directory of 500 shots from an art gallery). Come to think of it, I may
have much more than a dozen directories to add....

Is softlinks support actively avoided (because of the circularity problem) or
on the queue?

I may need to use something external and just have a main menu entry for it,
like I do for YouTube.

I'll definitely try the API though.

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca