[mythtv-users] Auto re-record damaged recordings? Definition of damaged?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Jan 16 13:46:00 UTC 2019

On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 21:25:15 -0800, you wrote:

>On 01/15/2019 07:58 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 11:04:58 -0800, you wrote:

>Is there any indication in the re-recorded file that it was re-recoded because
>the original was damaged?
>
>I occassionally get recordings, I start to watch them and realized I had seen
>them before.  These may be re-recorded considerably later (the original new
>broadcast was damage, now I'm getting the repeat or syndication).
>
>My only belief is that this is a re-record because the original was damaged.
>There may have been some minor glitches in the original, but it may still have
>been totally viewable.

There is nothing on a re-recording that indicates it is due to a
previously damaged recording.  So you can indeed get a re-recording
when a program is repeated months or years later.  This will only
happen if the original recording got marked as damaged - but you may
well have forgotten that.  But the usual cause of a re-recording where
you find you have seen it before is that the broadcaster managed to
screw up the EPG data so that mythbackend thinks it is a episode it
has not previously recorded.  That happens ridiculously often in this
part of the world.  If you do appropriate searches using SQL on the
oldrecorded table of your database or using Manage Recordings >
Previously Recorded, you can usually find the previous recording and
be able to see the EPG differences that caused this.