[mythtv-users] Auto re-record damaged recordings? Definition of damaged?

Mark Wedel mwedel at sonic.net
Wed Jan 16 05:25:15 UTC 2019

On 01/15/2019 07:58 PM, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 11:04:58 -0800, you wrote:
>
>> On 1/15/2019 10:52 AM, Jon Boehm wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> What is the definition of a damaged recording?  I use an antenna and I
>>> have a couple of channels that are very weather dependent.  I often
>>> get short recordings with lots and lots of dropped frames.  The start
>>> and stop times, on these short recordings, are correct but the total
>>> play time is short as shown in playback, maybe 55mins out of a 1hr
>>> recording. Are these classified as damaged?
>>>
>>> Second question, is there a setting to allow the scheduler to auto
>>> re-record and replace damaged showings, possibly at lower priority?
>>>
>>> thanks
>
>> My experience is that damaged recordings do automatically get
>> re-recorded.  At least with 0.27 and 0.28.  Now what constitutes
>> damaged, I don't know.  I have seen recordings with a few dropouts be
>> deemed not damaged and some as damaged.  There is probably some error
>> count threshold someplace.  I have also observed that with severe
>> damage, the commercial commflagging process will sometimes segfault,
>> restarting the backend.  This can be bad if another recording is taking
>> place at the time.  You might consider marking such channels as
>> commercial free to avoid that if it is an issue for you.
>> Jay
>
> If mythfrontend shows the recording in yellow (MythCenter-wide theme),
> then the recording is marked as being damaged and will be re-recorded
> automatically if possible.  The DAMAGED flag is one of the flags
> stored in the recordedprogram.videoprop field in the database.  If you
> add the "-v record" option to your mythbackend command line options,
> then the mythbackend log will show extra messages like this at the end
> of each recording:
(much good information removed for brevity)

Is there any indication in the re-recorded file that it was re-recoded because
the original was damaged?

I occassionally get recordings, I start to watch them and realized I had seen
them before.  These may be re-recorded considerably later (the original new
broadcast was damage, now I'm getting the repeat or syndication).

My only belief is that this is a re-record because the original was damaged.
There may have been some minor glitches in the original, but it may still have
been totally viewable.