[mythtv-users] Auto re-record damaged recordings? Definition of damaged?

Jay Foster jayf0ster at roadrunner.com
Tue Jan 15 19:04:58 UTC 2019

On 1/15/2019 10:52 AM, Jon Boehm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the definition of a damaged recording?  I use an antenna and I
> have a couple of channels that are very weather dependent.  I often
> get short recordings with lots and lots of dropped frames.  The start
> and stop times, on these short recordings, are correct but the total
> play time is short as shown in playback, maybe 55mins out of a 1hr
> recording. Are these classified as damaged?
>
> Second question, is there a setting to allow the scheduler to auto
> re-record and replace damaged showings, possibly at lower priority?
>
> thanks

My experience is that damaged recordings do automatically get
re-recorded.  At least with 0.27 and 0.28.  Now what constitutes
damaged, I don't know.  I have seen recordings with a few dropouts be
deemed not damaged and some as damaged.  There is probably some error
count threshold someplace.  I have also observed that with severe
damage, the commercial commflagging process will sometimes segfault,
restarting the backend.  This can be bad if another recording is taking
place at the time.  You might consider marking such channels as
commercial free to avoid that if it is an issue for you.
Jay