[mythtv-users] nVidia Shield (arm port maybe or just remote frontends in general) and expiring recordings

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Jan 14 06:48:31 UTC 2019

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 17:38:35 -0600, you wrote:

>On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 02:50:09PM -0600, Greg Oliver wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 2:17 PM David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
>> > Deleted recordings are moved to the Deleted group.  They stay there
>> > for some amount of time (default of 1 day, minimum of 5-20 minutes,
>> > controllable by the DeletedMaxAge setting) before being deleted unless
>> > they are auto-expired or manually deleted from that group.  This
>> > behavior is to satisfy the people who want the ability to "undelete"
>> > recordings and also to avoid the "can't delete right now/the file is
>> > busy" issue for most users.  If you want recordings deleted ASAP,
>> > delete them normally, then switch to the Deleted group and delete them
>> > again.
>>
>> I originally deleted them all in the Normal Watch Recordings screen.  I
>> then changed my filter to Deleted and use the "Add to Playlist" option like
>> I always have and then "Playlist -> Delete Playlist".  The disappeared from
>> the GUI (and I did that for LiveTV as well since I watched the Cowboy game
>> live last night), but no space freed.
>
>That was a good game!  Why did you want to delete it? :)
>
>> If what I tried should normally work, cool - if not, did I miss a step - I
>> have never had to do this with my old frontend - just started with the
>> Shield.  I would have used the frontend / backend box, but I unplugged the
>> mceusb receiver and bt receivers a while ago and probably tossed them
>> somewhere it would take a while to find :)
>
>What you did should work.  It's what I often do.  Since you restarted
>the backend, it's quitely likely some recordings got returned to the
>Deleted and LiveTV groups and you'll need to delete them again.
>
>David

When you delete heaps of recordings at once, the actual deletions will
take some time.  So even after you delete everything from the deleted
group, all that has happened immediately is that all those recordings
have been queued for actual deletion.  They will disappear from the
deleted group, but it will take a while for mythbackend to work its
way through the queue doing the actual deletions.  Shutting down
mythbackend in the middle of those real deletions will usually put all
the as-yet-undeleted recordings back into the deleted group.  I am not
sure if after that those deleted group recordings will ever be
automatically queued for real deletion again, or whether you may need
to manually delete them from the deleted group again.