[mythtv-users] Converting from Data Direct to tv_grab_zz_sdjson

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 22:18:36 UTC 2019

Looking at the recent post about Schedules Direct's Data Direct
support getting dropped in 31, I decided I'd like to switch sooner
than later, despite the fact that I'm actually still running 29.1.
I've used the internal Schedules Direct source forever. My recording
rules are very straight forward...mostly just record all showings,
sometimes with the "this channel" filter.

The tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite is clearly more than I need and more than
I want to deal with, so I'm converting to the tv_grab_zz_sdjson
grabber. I was confused at first because I hadn't realized that the
lineups you create on the schedulesdirect.org web site are only for
Data Direct and have nothing to do with the JSON grabbers, which use
lineups configured in xmltv itself. I have xmltv-0.5.70 installed
under Gentoo with the proper USE flag to get the tv_grab_zz_sdjson.
I've experimented with configuring that, and have a pretty good idea
how that all works but had a few questions.

First of all, my channels table of course currently have the xmltvid
format as used by Data Direct, so I'm assuming that in during the
configuration I want to choose the channel id format option 2. Just
wanted to make sure on that.

Second, as far as the channel=<id> and channel!<id> lines in the
configuration, is is it necessary to have a line for every id in the
lineup, or is there a default behavior (either including the channel
or excluding it) is no line exists for the id at all? I'll probably
have lines for everything, but was curious on that one.

Third, I currently have a mythfilldatabase argument of "--dd-grab-all"
configured. Once I use mythtv-setup to change to the Schedules Direct
JSON API source, I'm assuming I don't want that. What I'm not clear on
is whether or not I need any other options...or if mythfilldatabase
will just work as-is.

Last, I just wanted to verify that the overall functionality of
mythfilldatabase using tv_grab_zz_sdjson is mostly the same (aside
from getting more days of listings etc). Most notably, that all it
does is schedule recordings, and that it doesn't alter other stuff
like channels for example, or anything else I wouldn't expect.

Thanks in advance!
Tom