[mythtv-users] small portable DVR

Curtis Gedak gedakc at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 17:19:13 UTC 2019

On 2019-01-13 5:27 a.m., James Abernathy wrote:
> So my questions is if I use the RP3 as a backend what software do I
> use.  I've seen the wiki about Mythtv Light, but that is mostly about
> FE. Do I start with Light and add mysql stuff?  Do I build regular
> mythtv from source for the RP3?

I've been a happy user of MythTV since 2011 and plan to continue using
MythTV on x86-64 hardware for many more years.  (A big thanks to the
devs for this software).

With that said, I have had good experience running a MythTV frontend on
an RPi2/3, but have not tried running the backend.

For a small portable DVR I opted to use LibreELEC with Kodi and
Tvheadend.  For hardware I used an RPi3, an HDHomeRun Connect dual
network tuner, and an USB powered 2 TB HDD.  I wrote an article on this
if you are curious:

http://gedakc.users.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=pvr-rpi-tvheadend

If you do decide to configure MythTV Backend on an RPi then I am
interested to learn how it works out for you.

Regards,
Curtis