[mythtv-users] problems installing Mythtv 29 and 0.28 on Debian Buster

richard at mail.sheugh.com richard at mail.sheugh.com
Thu Jan 10 09:03:39 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 01:54:56PM +0000, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 09/01/2019 13:16, Ian Campbell wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2019-01-09 at 12:54 +0000, richard at mail.sheugh.com wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> I'm running Debian Buster and I'm having problems installing
> >> Mythtv by following the instructions for ver 29 on the
> >> mythtv.org website.
> > FWIW I've always just happily used the debs from deb-multimedia.org on
> > Debian (currently Buster).
> >
> >> deps/DEBIAN/control' near line 2 package 'mythtv-build-deps':
> >>  error in 'Version' field string '2:29.1+fixes.20190109.af5d819671-Version:': invalid character in revision number
> > It looks like the version number here has a trailing ":". I don't think
> > a colon is valid in that location (the one at the start, after the
> > first 2 is fine).
> >
> > https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-version
> >
> > The whole `-Version:` suffix there looks a bit like a variable
> > substitution gone awry perhaps?
> >
> > Ian.
>
> Are you both using current packaging? I'm pretty sure something was
> committed recently to fix this problem. Not sure if it went into both
> master and the fixes branch though.

I am unsure what you mean by current packaging. I installed Debian Buster
on a newbuild AMD64 machine with some packages from Stable and one or two
from oldstable. I have since managed to install mythtv from deb-multimedia,
but have not yet managed to get my tv card completely configured.

I'm advised separately that I can build ver 29 from source link :
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Build_from_Source

The link I used in my attempt to build a Debian package was
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_Debian

HTH

Richard