[mythtv-users] Tuning problems

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 21:00:34 UTC 2019

On 01/01/2019 19:38, Damian Surr wrote:

> On 28/12/2018 22:04, John Pilkington wrote:
>> On 28/12/2018 16:11, Damian wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've had tuning issues for months now, but we mainly watch downloaded
>>> content, so I've not worried too much about it.
>>>
>>> However, there's not much point using MythTv without the TV bit! :-)
>>> And I know how great it can be when it's working, so I'd like to sort
>>> this out if I can.
>>>
>>> Here's the issue ...
>>>
>>> To keep things simple, I've got 2 SD tuner sticks installed at the
>>> moment. I've got a HD one waiting to be used too, but I'm not too
>>> worried about HD TV. I'd rather just get the 2 SD sticks working again.
>>>
>>> I'm in the UK and should be (at least we used to be!) in the Mendip
>>> area.
>>>
>>> Here are the details hoe how Mendip 'should' tune ...
>>> https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Mendip
>>>
>>> The settings are different to what they were a few years ago, but to
>>> me it looks like I the main channels are at 562000000Hz, 578000000Hz.
>>>
>>> When I do a full scan, with MythTV, it gives me transports like ...
>>> 698000000 Hz,
>>> 738000000 Hz
>>> 690000000 Hz
>>> 721833330 Hz
>>>
>>> Auto turn always results in finding channels, but they are
>>> temperamental and unreliable.
>>>
>>> This wouldn't be a problem as MythTV always seemed to tune to the
>>> wrong transports. The problem is that if I edit the transports, like
>>> I have in the past, to mathc up frequencies, then the system fins
>>> nothing!
>>>
>>> Back when things used to work, manually editing the transports would
>>> solve everything and I'd have rock solid tuning. however, that's not
>>> been the case for along time now.
>>>
>>> Any ideas how to get to the bottom of this?
>>>
>>> I should mention that if I need to go to the command line, my level
>>> is 'ls' and 'top'! :-) I can follow instructions, but have no idea
>>> what I'm doing in there.
>>>
>>> One final thing to mention is a new error message that I'm noticing
>>> when I go into the Multiplex editor. It's stated saying:
>>> "Sorry, the Transport Editor can only be used to edit transports
>>> which are connected to a card input."
>>>
>>> However, it then seems to work fine.
>>>
>>> Hope some of you geniuses can help! :-)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Damian
>>
>> Hi Damien:  This may help:
>>
>> https://www.a516digital.com/2018/02/freeview-frequency-changes-27th-feb-and.html
>>

>> I don't know how authoritative it is, but it notes frequency changes
>> made at Mendip in February, although it doesn't look as if they
>> affected the main muxes. Last time I looked ukfree.tv hadn't caught up
>> with changes made at my local transmitter around that time.
>>
>> John P
>
> Thanks for this John,
>
> Although I don't understand it enough to know the implications :-)
>
> I've just tested out an actual real TV, and it scanned all channels, so
> I assume Myth should be able to find them too.
>
> Regards,
> Damian

Hi Damian:  *If* your best transmitter is Mendip and you have DVB-T
tuners I think you need the main PSB muxes on 562 and 578, and Com 4,5
and 6 on 690, 570 and 594 MHz - ie the numbers quoted followed by
000000.  The 'local' low power transmitter for Bristol is on 714 MHz.
Have a line for each, set its Bandwidth to 8 MHz and try a scan of 'All
known transports'   You might be able to input fewer muxes if you
'enable scanning of linked transports,' but there have been changes in
the details and I don't like exploring on a working system!

The other frequencies listed will need DVB-T2-capable tuners.  Skip for now.

The 'connected to card input' thing is likely looking for something like
'dvb' in the 'Video Source' box on the Channel Editor page.  When I
click OK it goes away...

John