[mythtv-users] hdhomerun pixelation

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 01:06:20 UTC 2019

On 2/23/19 7:49 PM, James Linder wrote:
> Following quite enthusistic endorsement here I got a HDhomerun tuner. I got the quad that exposed a few defects in the sheduler
> (like one rule; record one program on one channel at one time with two recorders and get two recordings)
>
> There is occasional pixelation specially on HD but signal strength on myth and on the standalone hdhomerun setup is 100% (what ever that means)
> Same antenna connection, but split 2 ways with their antenna to two flyleads, to a haupage dual usb tuner showed signal levels around 60% and also occasional pixelation, but only on HD.
>
> Since we don’t know what happens internally to the antenna signal, it could be 6dB down (1/4) of the original, or it could be internally amplified.
> I don’t want to get an amplifier if there is already an amplifier.
>
> What experience do other homerun users have?
>
> James

Here's my take on the HDHR Quatro. I have one. It turns out that
SiliconDust has an issue with the firmware that their demodulator vendor
gave them.  There are many stations around the US that get 100% signal
strength but they have pixelation a lot. If you watch via the HDHomerun
config gui in Linux you see the symbol % fall to 0 every few seconds. 1
out of my 5 local stations has this problem.

SD has sent out engineers to measure the problem and has the data now to
work with the demodulation vendor on new firmware.

If this is your problem then it's not signal strength.  You can
attenuate the signal but no change. A lot of us are discussing this in
the SD forum under a thread I started.
https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=70166&sid=a52576e9fe24e2d64351d7cb524a1df0#p332783

Jim A