[mythtv-users] v30 unsmooth playback

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 21:46:54 UTC 2019

On 2/9/19 3:39 PM, Tim Draper wrote:
> ---- On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 19:26:59 +0000 Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote ----
>   > If you run the frontend with -v playback you may see messages indicating
>   > what is happening.
>   >
>   > You can also try settings - playback, advanced and select AVSync2.
>   > AVSync2 is designed to make playback smoother. We are still working on
>   > it so there will be further improvements later
>   >
>   > You can also try VAAPI2 playback profile - it has some advanced
>   > interlacing options (marked HW-VA).
>   >
>   > Peter
>   >
> lots of "Player(0): dropping frame to catch up, lateness=37000 usec" when using the Bob deinterlacer on VAAPI v1.
> AVSync2 already ticked. not something i've done myself so i assume it's default enabled?
> Some of the vaapi2 hw-va options work but get a lot of AVSync time drift when seeking (1200ms). The AVSync process does realign over a few seconds.
>
> cpu/gpu isnt the gruntiest thing (https://ark.intel.com/products/81071/Intel-Celeron-Processor-N2830-1M-Cache-up-to-2-41-GHz-) so assume it's just lacking power to handle the more intensive deinterlacers.
>
> any ideas why i'm now having issues between 29>30 upgrade? while i don't know what i was running on v29, i'd of thought that v30 upgrade wouldn't of touched the playback config so does that point to something other than the work your doing on avsync2?

Is that using a bob 2x deinterlacer? That doubles the frame rate and
perhaps the screen refresh is not high enough for that. To use a 2x
deinterlacer you need a screen refresh of 60 Hz. You could try selecting
one of the non-2x deinterlacers. It is supposed to switch to the
fallback deinterlacer when the screen refresh is not high enough, but
perhaps that is not happening.