[mythtv-users] v30 unsmooth playback

Tim Draper veehexx at zoho.com
Sat Feb 9 11:26:53 UTC 2019

---- On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 04:11:10 +0000 John Massengale <johnrobertmassengale at gmail.com> wrote ----

 > I am getting jerkiness too on 1080i recordings from NBC on v30. I have an intel motherboard running vaapi2. seems like if i change the deinterlace to Weave it was better, but Bob or anyhing else looks bad. Other channels with 1080i the recordings are fine like off of PBS.
 >
 > On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 12:36 PM Tim Draper <veehexx at zoho.com> wrote:
 >  ---- On Sun, 03 Feb 2019 19:54:55 +0000 John Pilkington <johnpilk222 at gmail.com> wrote ----
 >   > I don't know what capabilities your NUC has.  My SL7.6 +
 >   > elrepo-4.4-kernel box, running Master, is currently playing an HD DVB-T2
 >   > recording, getting it as a video from NAS.  Playback is mainly good but
 >   > jerky on panning.  Video is old intel without hardware acceleration,
 >   > Normal setting.  CPU is 2.8 GHz core2duo and display is VGA in a
 >   > 1024x576 window; 2 cores at 90% or above.
 >   >
 >   > If I want to watch output from this box at full resolution I use DLNA.
 >   >
 >   > Have you investigated the 'Advanced Playback Settings,' which were added
 >   > quite recently with the aim, IIRC, of getting smoother playback and
 >   > using VAAPI2?
 >   >
 >   >
 >   > Another thought:  I found out only a few weeks ago that the VDPAU
 >   > settings included "number of processors."   Perhaps for VAAPI too?
 >   >

 >  The nuc is a 2014 model; Intel HD graphics. tends to run about 35% on vaapi 1080p content.
 >  Tried the vaapi2 option and it can't handle it. same 1080i recording runs fine with vaapi&manually set progressive scan, but doubles CPU time and just cant handle it smoothly.
 >
 >  Based off the quietness of this thread, sounds like its not a wide spread issue. wonder if somethings become broke with the many repo updates i needed. Unless we can find a solution before, i'm going to plan a reinstall at the weekend.

done the reinstall and playback problem seems fixed - 1080i recording and it just works the way it should. Same centos7 & fixes/30 so guess something screwy went on with one of the many updates i applied on the FE (both myth29>30 and general OS updates)
unfortunately it looks like i'm going to need a new FE anyway - something feels broken with the hardware - long POST times & long delays between grub&boot splash screen which has been an outstanding issue for a while. hw fault could also explain the weirdness with bluetooth reliability too. £100 celeron nuc, 4yrs old so it's not done too bad.