[mythtv-users] HDHR prob with new wallwarts

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 17:51:50 UTC 2019

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 9:29 AM Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/12/2019 17:35, Allen Edwards wrote:
> > Here is the solution.
> >
> > dad at NewMyth:~$ more /etc/network/interfaces
> > # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
> > auto lo
> > iface lo inet loopback
> > auto enp2s0
> > iface enp2s0 inet static
> >     address 192.168.1.111
> >     netmask 255.255.255.0
> >     gateway 192.168.1.1
> >     broadcast 192.168.1.255
> >     dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8   8.8.4.4
>
> Trying to decode this. I assume that the reason SD made this suggestion,
> and that you report it worked for you, is that the creation of an enp2s0
> entry in /etc/network/interfaces caused your backend's enp2s0 interface
> no longer to be managed by the scourge that is Network Manager (scourge
> on servers, not on clients).
>
> So that should be the advice given to others: create an appropriate
> entry for your backend's main ethernet interface in its
> /etc/network/interfaces file. The above is just an example of what such
> an entry might look like. Don't just copy it onto your backend and
> assume it will work as-is; you will need to adapt it to your network and
> interface name.
>
> (Also, I would steer clear of Google's DNS servers because I value my
> privacy, but that's just me).
>
> I honestly do not recall who gave me the suggestions but I think it was on
this group but it could have been through Googling or a mixture. You are
right that it needs to be customized. This is just what I did. It kept the
HDHR connected where previously Linux was disconnecting. The HDHRs were
working fine and I could view them from Windows when the Linux box and thus
Myth could not. What SD did was suggest I use Windows to see if the HDHRs
were still connected and working at a time when Linux could not see them.
It was a great troubleshooting technique as it isolated the problem to
Linux. Not Myth, not the HDHRs.

My son works at Google and I trust them. Let me simplify the privacy issues
and what I understand Google does and does not do.
Google is in the business of selling ads and wants them to be relevant to
the viewer. There are three ways this can be done:
1) By where you are. This is similar to a newspaper having different
editions for different geographies.
2) By what you do. You visited Homedepot.com looked at lawn mowers so here
is a lawn mower ad.
3) By who you are. You are Frank and you like sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll.

Google does 1 and 2 but not 3. In California, starting next year, you can
opt out of #2. I have opted out of #2 on behalf of all my users on my
website for example so I don't need to ask everyone individually. Nice
feature. I think the EU is similar.

It is my belief that Facebook uses #3 and I do not put Google and Facebook
in the same box.

Allen