[mythtv-users] HDHR prob with new wallwarts

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 17:29:11 UTC 2019

On 07/12/2019 17:35, Allen Edwards wrote:
> Here is the solution.
>
> dad at NewMyth:~$ more /etc/network/interfaces
> # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
> auto enp2s0
> iface enp2s0 inet static
>     address 192.168.1.111
>     netmask 255.255.255.0
>     gateway 192.168.1.1
>     broadcast 192.168.1.255
>     dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8   8.8.4.4

Trying to decode this. I assume that the reason SD made this suggestion,
and that you report it worked for you, is that the creation of an enp2s0
entry in /etc/network/interfaces caused your backend's enp2s0 interface
no longer to be managed by the scourge that is Network Manager (scourge
on servers, not on clients).

So that should be the advice given to others: create an appropriate
entry for your backend's main ethernet interface in its
/etc/network/interfaces file. The above is just an example of what such
an entry might look like. Don't just copy it onto your backend and
assume it will work as-is; you will need to adapt it to your network and
interface name.

(Also, I would steer clear of Google's DNS servers because I value my
privacy, but that's just me).