[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend on Fire TV doesn't detect interlace

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Mon Aug 26 17:08:04 UTC 2019

Actually, firstly let me say Wow! I've been wanting to try this out for
some time, but my backend is stuck on v29 for now, and I've only just
discovered that doesn't matter. Really very impressed. I have one of the
earlier Fire TV boxes (not stick). Didn't really expect it to work, but
it seems fine.

At first some of my 50i recordings didn't seem very smooth. I ignored
some of the set up advice and selected the Bob (2x) deinterlacer, and
that initially didn't give any improvement. But then I went into the
playback menu and noticed the system had detected the video as
progressive. I overrode it as interlaced reversed and Wow (again): silky
smooth. Not perfect, but really far better than I expected.

There is a slight tick every second or so. I think it misses the odd
frame, or it isn't quite in sync with the screen frame rate. Also it's a
pain that I have to go into the device's set up to select the 50fps
screen refresh rate (I'll have to go back and forth between 50 and 24 if
I'm going to run mythfrontend and netflix). And of course it's a pain
that it doesn't detect the interlace correctly. Not far off though.
Nearly to where I can throw away my nvidia-based frontend (if only that
wasn't quite so perfect).

Cheers,
	Paul.