[mythtv-users] Fresh install of .30 on Ubuntu 18.04 lts hd homerun problems

John Wolf jwolf2 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 22:56:59 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 6:58 AM John Wolf <jwolf2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 30, 2019, 12:05 AM Bill Meek <keemllib at gmail.com> wrote:

>> them

>> install.
>> Is it
>> problems?

>> What

>> tuner
>> to get

>> https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3100&p=15813#p15813

>> > The way I take that post is that their machine isn't seeing the
>> HDHomerun at all, and they have them check if Myth was compiled with the
>> > HDHomerun support.  I ran the command at the bottom of that and mine is
>> compiled with it, which I figured it was since it does record 1
>> > program.
>>
>> My mistake, I had already deleted the initial posts.
>>
>> I just can't get it to record 2 programs at the same time.  I didn't see
>> anything in there saying how to install it, ie how many
>> > capture cards need to be added per physical dual tuner HDhomerun, how
>> many sources, and how many inputs and if there are any special settings
>> > that need to be set.
>>
>> One capture card for each tuner on an HDHR. At one  point you listed a
>> configuration having only one,
>> but later said you added a second -- that's the correct way.
>>
>> You also said adding the 2nd didn't help.
>>
>> In my case, I have a 2 tuner HDHR box, in setup:
>>
>>   2 Capture Cards (e.g. HDHOMERUN: ABCD1234 for each, no -<n> suffix)
>>   1 Video Source (e.g. OTA)
>>   2 Input Connections HDHOMERUN: ABCD1234->OTA (same thing twice)
>>
>> > I don't have anything else using the HDhomerun.  I know before I could
>> record up to 2 different shows on different
>> > transmitters and potentially 2 other shows, if there were 2 shows on
>> each transmitter I wanted to record.  I am not too concerned about
>> > recording multiple sub-channels on one transmitter.  I don't know if I
>> have ever recorded 2 shows at the same time on a single transmitter
>>
>> Working OK for me (that's the good news.) I'm in the same boat
>> as I rarely record two programs on multiplexed channels. And I
>> frequently record multiple programs from different channels.
>>
>> > The old method was much simpler to setup than the current way.
>>
>> I didn't see a great setup change, but absolutely the conversion to the
>> MythUI.
>>
>> --
>> Bill
>>

> I think I tried a setup like that before but not positive.  Do you
> remember how you have the group tuners checkbox set? Then the # of tuners
> field in Inputs?
>
> Is there a way to get version numbers for the different modules installed?
>
> We are hosting a family reunion this weekend so I wont have time to fiddle
> with it until mid next week.
>
> I will try any suggestions then.
>
> Thanks.
>
> John

Hello Everyone,

Things have finally settled down some and I had time to run through
different settings until I found some that worked.  This is for an US
HDHomerun connect Duo OTA.listings from EIT only on Mythtv .30 Ubuntu 18.04
LTS.

I defined 2 capture cards for the unit:
    First card has options of:
          Signal Timeout 1000
          Tuning timeout 3000
          Use HDHomerun for active EIT Scan checked
    Second card has same options except the EIT Scan is unchecked.

Recording profiles are at the default

1 video source
    Listings grabber EIT Only
    Channel Freq Table: us-bcast
    Network ID -1

  2 Input Connections:
    Both Identical pointing at the HDHomerun Video Source
          Interactions between inputs:
              Schedule as group checked (The rest of the settings the
default)

With those settings Myth will use both tuners to record 2 simultaneous
shows on different channels.  I haven't tried recording  2 simultaneous
shows on different sub-channels of the same channel to see if it will just
use one tuner or not, but I hardly ever record anything on the higher sub
channels

Thanks for all your suggestions earlier Bill they helped guide me as to
what to put in for the settings.

John