[mythtv-users] Guidance for phase 9

John Pilkington johnpilk222 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 11:34:20 UTC 2019

On 20/08/2019 17:57, Allen Edwards wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 9:46 AM Tom Dexter <digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
> <mailto:digitalaudiorock at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 8/20/19, Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
>     <mailto:allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>> wrote:
>      > On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 8:03 AM Klaas de Waal
>     <klaas.de.waal at gmail.com <mailto:klaas.de.waal at gmail.com>>
>      > wrote:
>      >
>      >> I have added the option "Full search for old channels" in the
>     Channel
>      >> Scan page of mythtv-setup. This implements channel matching
>     across all
>      >> channels on all transports both for ATSC and for DVB. For ATSC the
>      >> matching is based on major and minor numbers as discussed in this
>      >> thread. To test it out, get the latest master from git and build it.
>      >>
>      >> Please note that the "Full search for old channels" option has
>     not yet
>      >> been tested on ATSC.
>      >> Please note also that the "Full search for old channels" option is
>      >> currently by default unchecked. For more details see ticket #13472
>      >> comment:3.
>      >>
>      >> Feedback is welcome!
>      >>
>      >> Enjoy,
>      >> Klaas.
>      >>
>      >>
>      > Will this address my issue where there are two stations I can get
>     that have
>      > the same major and minor channel numbers?  They are all virtual
>     channel 7
>      > and now broadcast on 7 and 35. They will be frequencies 12 and 35
>     after the
>      > repack.  35 is weak and is what I get initially after a full
>     scan. I can't
>      > recall how I overcame it but I think I did a scan starting at 7.1
>     after the
>      > full scan.
>      >
>      > Allen
>      >
>     I have to think the answer is no on that one, as there's simply no way
>     for the scan to know what to do. As I said originally that's a really
>     tough one. However if you end up with the wrong frequency my script
>     could correct it. I doubt there really is any possible automated
>     solution for that one.
>
>     Tom
>
> The automated solution would be something similar to what happens when
> you download the same document twice.  7.1 and 7.1(2) and then manually
> edit by deleting 7.1 and renaming 7.1(2) to 7.1
>
> But I am planning on using your script as there are just 4 channels to
> repack.
>
> Allen

Feedback on current master 477ddfd in DVB-T/T2 land (UK Freeview):  I
re-scanned using 'all known transports' and the new option, and saw no
problems.  One DVB-T2 transport reported 'possible' channels; I
rescanned that transport and they they became 'probable'.  The log is
now easier to understand, and showed no actual change.  Boringly, it
'just works' - at least for me.

I don't understand the ATSC subtleties, but I would expect that the 7 vs
35 or 12 vs 35 frequency problem could be solved by deactivating the
unwanted transport in the transport editor.

John P